LAS VEGAS — The UFC and MGM were not kidding around.
Nick Diaz was not allowed into the UFC 202 ceremonial weigh-ins Friday at MGM Grand, Diaz confirmed with MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani. Diaz posted a video of him being denied entry on his Snapchat.
Diaz's brother Nate is fighting Conor McGregor in the main event of UFC 202 on Saturday at MGM's T-Mobile Arena. It's unclear if Nick will be allowed in the building to watch his brother's fight.
"The best fighter in the world (Nate) says I'm the best fighter in the world and they won't let me in the f*cking arena for theweigh-ins," Diaz told Helwani. "I'm the last one to start sh*t ever."
Earlier in the week, the UFC and MGM said members of Team Diaz and Team McGregor were going to be banned from UFC 202 events due to a bottle-throwing mess at the pre-fight press conference Wednesday. The only people allowed in would be Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) licensed corner people.
Nick Diaz, the popular UFC middleweight fighter, is currently still suspended by the commission as a result of a failed marijuana test in 2015. He cannot obtain a license to corner anyone or fight until he either pays the rest of a fine or enters into an approved payment plan, per NAC executive director Bob Bennett.
Nick was suspended by the NAC earlier this year for 18 months and fined $100,000 due to the weed failure. The 18-month ban was up on Aug. 1, but Nick still owes the state $75,000, Bennett said.
As of Thursday, Diaz was still attempting to clear up his issue with the commission in order to corner Nate on Saturday, according to Nick's manager Lloyd Pierson. That is looking more and more unlikely now.
Bennett told MMA Fighting on Friday that Nick Diaz was not licensed "at this time and date."