UFC on FOX 21 finally has a main event. And it's a fight that was already booked and highly anticipated.
A welterweight contender bout between Carlos Condit and Demian Maia will be moved from UFC 202 to the UFC on FOX 21 headliner, the UFC confirmed Tuesday. Neil Davidson of the Canadian Press was the first to report the news. UFC on FOX 21 is scheduled for Aug. 27 in Vancouver, one week after UFC 202 in Las Vegas.
Condit (30-9) is coming off a razor-close split decision loss to Robbie Lawler in a welterweight title fight at UFC 195 back in January. The JacksonWink MMA product considered retirement, but chose to return to once again hunt for the title. Condit, 32, owns wins over Nick Diaz, Rory MacDonald and Dong Hyun Kim.
Maia (23-6) has won five in a row and nearing a title shot of his own. The Brazilian is one of the best jiu-jitsu practitioners in MMA today — probably the absolute best. Maia, 38, most recently defeated Matt Brown by third-round submission at UFC 198 in May.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage