clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Following controversial victory, Fedor Emelianenko says 'we will fight on'

New, 129 comments
EFN

It appears as though Fedor Emelianenko will keep on fighting.

Following his controversial majority decision victory over Fabio Maldonaldo Friday night in St. Petersburg, Russia at EFN 50, a fight in which he almost got knocked out in the first round, Emelianenko implied that his fighting days aren't over yet.

"All is still ahead," he said at the post-fight press conference, "we will fight on."

Earlier in the press conference, Emelianenko, 39, added, "as far as the rest of my career, I will recuperate and go over all of the proposals received."

On Monday's episode of "The MMA Hour," Emelianenko said he was closer than ever to finally signing with the UFC, and while Friday's main event aired live on UFC Fight Pass, Emelianenko didn't address afterwards whether his next fight will in fact take place in the Octagon.

As for the fight itself, it could have easily been scored a draw due to the fact that Maldonaldo almost finished Emelianenko in the first round. It ended up going the distance, with one judge scoring it a draw and the other two scoring it in favor of the Russian.

"I don't feel bitter," Maldonado said at the post-fight press conference. "I am proud of achieving this level in this fight. I am not planning to contest the result."

EFN CEO Kamil Gadzhiev admitted that a draw would have been "fair." He also said the Russian-based promotion is planning on holding an event in the United States next year.

Whether that will feature Emelianenko remains to be seen. He is now a free agent after signing a one-fight deal with EFN.