Derrick Lewis proved once again, the best way to get what you want in the fight game is by asking for it.
A short-notice heavyweight tilt between Lewis and Gabriel Gonzaga has been targeted for UFC Fight Night 86, MMA Fighting confirmed Thursday following multiple media reports.
Lewis campaigned heavily for the fight on social media this week following the withdrawal of Gonzaga's original opponent, Ruslan Magomedov, due to knee injury. UFC officials have yet to formally announce the contest.
UFC Fight Night 86 takes place April 10 at the Zagreb Arena in Zagreb, Croatia. The event is the UFC's first to be held in Croatia, and is headlined by a heavyweight contest between top contender Ben Rothwell and former UFC champion Junior dos Santos.
Lewis (14-4, 1 NC) rides a two-fight win streak into the contest following back-to-back knockouts over Viktor Pesta and Damian Grabowski. Nicknamed "The Black Beast," the 31-year-old American has won or lost all seven of his UFC bouts via knockout or TKO.
Gonzaga (17-10), meanwhile, snapped a recent three-fight losing streak in December with a sluggish victory over Konstantin Erokhin. The 36-year-old Brazilian has been fighting in the UFC for over a decade, winning 12 of his 21 contests, highlighted by finishes over Rothwell and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic.
An updated UFC Fight Night 86 fight card can be seen below.
- Junior Dos Santos vs. Ben Rothwell
- Derrick Lewis vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
- Francis Ngannou vs. Bojan Mihajlovic
- Timothy Johnson vs. Marcin Tybura
- Jan Blachowicz vs. Igor Pokrajac
- Maryna Moroz vs. Cristina Stanciu
- Mairbek Taisumov vs. Damir Hadzovic
- Zak Cummings vs. Nicolas Dalby
- Ian Entwistle vs. Alejandro Perez
- Filip Pejic vs. Damian Stasiak
- Robert Whiteford vs. Lucas Martins
- Jared Cannonier vs. Cyril Asker
- Bojan Velickovic vs. Alessio Di Chirico