clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Dada 5000 suffers major medical scare after loss to Kimbo Slice

Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Dada 5000 fought extremely hard against Kimbo Slice and had a major health scare following the bout.

Dada, whose real name is Dhafir Harris, went into cardiac arrest following his third-round knockout loss to Kimbo Slice at Bellator 149 on Friday night in Houston, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation. Sources said he was resuscitated by the on-site doctor in the ambulance and rushed to a local hospital. Harris remains there now in stable condition, sources said.

Bleacher Report's Jeremy Botter was the first to report Saturday that Harris' heart stopped after the fight and he was in critical condition Friday night.

Though doctors feared the worst last night, Harris is currently in recovery with a fracture of his orbital bone the extent of his injuries, sources said. Sources said he was laughing and joking with family and friends Saturday morning.

On Saturday afternoon, Bellator released a statement from Harris' family on the 38-year-old's condition. The statement said Harris had high levels of potassium in his blood, which led to "severe dehydration, fatigue and renal failure." The statement did not mention cardiac arrest. The full text is below:

The Harris Family would like to inform Dada's friends and fans that Dada is ok and resting comfortably in a Houston area Hospital under the care of an incredible staff of doctors and nurses.
The doctors have now informed us that Dada had accumulated extremely high levels of potassium in his blood which led to severe dehydration, fatigue and renal failure. The high potassium levels were likely caused by his 40lbs weight loss in preparation for the fight.
Thanks to the EMTs and doctors, Dada is now recovering nicely.

Dada showed the heart of a lion in the cage- not backing down throughout. He worked extremely hard preparing for the fight and stepped forward for 3 rounds against a tough veteran. He kept digging through the adversity- leaving it all in the cage for his fans and supporters. You can never take that away from him.
We'd like to thank all those who have supported Dada as well as express our sincere appreciation to Scott Coker, and the good people at BELLATOR and Spike who have been on-site to visit Dada and support the family.

Bellator spokesperson Danny Brener said the promotion had no further comment aside from the statement out of respect for the family's wishes.

Harris reeled and collapsed after a grazing Slice punch in the third round of a grueling, exhausting heavyweight battle. Harris, a streetfighting legend, was competing in just his third MMA bout. He and Slice, both of whom hail from Miami, had a rivalry going back years.

Due to his age, Harris was required to provide the Texas Department of Licensing and Registration with EKG and EEG exams before being cleared to fight. Harris weighed in at the 265-pound heavyweight maximum and apparently had to drop weight to get there.

When reached Saturday, Texas Combative Sports director Greg Alvarez said he could not comment on the specific medical conditions of a fighter, but Harris was given an indefinite medical suspension and Slice was medically suspended for 60 days by the commission.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Fighting Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Fighting