clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Dana White on Kelvin Gastelum: ‘I'll never let him fight at 170 again'

New, comments
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Kelvin Gastelum's time at welterweight appears to be at an end.

Following yet another botched weight cut by Gastelum, this time ahead of his pivotal UFC 205 showdown against Donald Cerrone, UFC president Dana White made it clear that the UFC is done giving the TUF 17 winner further chances to prove himself at 170 pounds.

"I'll never let him fight at 170 again," White flatly told FOX Sports.

Gastelum didn't even make it to the scale on Friday at UFC 205's morning weigh-ins in New York, throwing in the towel not long after Cerrone successfully weighed in at 170.4 pounds.

Per the rules of the New York State Athletic Commission, Gastelum could still have competed in a catchweight bout against Cerrone as long as he was within seven pounds of him. However, White indicated that wasn't a possibility, and as a result, the fight was scrapped.

"I think he missed this one by 10 pounds," White said.

Gastelum's gaffe marked the third time the 25-year-old has missed weight over eight attempted welterweight bouts in the UFC. Gastelum previously missed weight by 1.75 pounds for a contest against Nico Musoke in 2014. He then tipped the scales a whopping nine pounds over the welterweight limit for a 2015 bout against Tyron Woodley. Gastelum also suffered close calls ahead of UFC 171 and UFC 200.

In the aftermath of Gastelum's badly botched cut against Woodley, the UFC actually forced the young prospect to fight his next match at middleweight. Gastelum ended up winning the bout, defeating Nate Marquardt via second-round TKO via corner stoppage.

The victory convinced the UFC to give Gastelum one more chance at 170, but now it appears that Gastelum -- currently ranked No. 5 at welterweight -- will have to start his climb anew in the shark tank that is the middleweight division.