The fiancée of UFC fighter Michael Graves told police that Graves punched and elbowed her in the head during an argument over the weekend.
Graves was arrested by Atlanta police Saturday after the alleged incident with his fiancée, according to the police report obtained by MMA Fighting. On Monday, the UFC pulled Graves from his Nov. 19 fight. The welterweight fighter is facing a charge of misdemeanor battery (family violence). He was released Tuesday from Fulton County (Ga.) Jail on $5,000 bond, per online jail records.
The victim told police that she and Graves got into an argument in their vehicle and things got physical. Per his fiancée's account, Graves punched her with his right hand and then "grabbed her head with his left hand" and elbowed her in the head with his right elbow. The victim said she then got out of the car and Graves ran off.
Officers on scene said the victim's face was "severely swollen from the incident," according to the arrest report.
A witness, T. Mygatt, said he was walking to his vehicle when he heard a "loud slap noise" coming from the vehicle Graves and his fiancée were sitting in. Mygatt said he saw a male leave the car from the passenger side, then heard the victim say "really, are you serious?" and cry. Mygatt said he called the police when he saw Graves "standing in the distance watching them."
Police found Graves a few blocks south of the location, the report stated. He was positively identified by his fiancée and then taken into custody.
Graves' fiancée told police they have been living together for one year. She said he previously struck her once before, four years ago in Florida when Graves kicked her in the leg. The victim said that incident was not reported.
Messages left for a Graves representative were not returned Tuesday.
The UFC said in a statement Monday that Graves, 28, would no longer be facing Sergio Moraes at UFC Fight Night 100 on Nov. 19 in Brazil due to the arrest. Here is the full text of the statement:
The UFC organization is aware that Michael Graves was arrested over the weekend on a misdemeanor battery charge. The organization takes this situation seriously and is in the process of gathering more information.
Graves has been removed from his scheduled bout on Nov. 19 as a result of the pending legal matter.