clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Michael Bisping says he ‘verbally agreed’ to face Georges St-Pierre at UFC 206, is waiting on GSP to accept

New, comments
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Georges St-Pierre's comeback at UFC 206 might still be alive.

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping tweeted Tuesday that he has verbally agreed to face St-Pierre on the card Dec. 10 in Toronto. Currently, UFC 206 is in need of an infusion and who better than GSP, the most popular Canadian fighter by leaps and bounds in promotion history.

In the series of tweets, Bisping urged St-Pierre to "sign the papers" and "be a hero" to the people of Toronto. The 185-pound champ added that the UFC and GSP have been "negotiating this fight for the last few days."

St-Pierre told Ariel Helwani on last week's edition of The MMA Hour that he was a free agent and no longer under UFC contract after his lawyer terminated the deal because the UFC did not meet a deadline to formally offer him a fight. GSP and the UFC have been embroiled in hard negotiations since February. The UFC responded to the free agent claims that it believes St-Pierre is still legally under contract with the promotion.

Bisping is coming off a unanimous decision win in his first title defense against Dan Henderson earlier this month at UFC 204 in England. He was given a firm, 60-day medical suspension by UFC doctors afterward, which would end days before UFC 206. Bisping is under suspension for 180 days, unless he is cleared by face and head CT scans.

UFC 206 is headlined right now by a light heavyweight title fight between champion Daniel Cormier and challenger Anthony Johnson. There are other solid fights announced for the event, but not obvious co-headliner. Bisping vs. GSP in St-Pierre's return after three years away would be the new main event and give Canada its biggest UFC card in a long time.

(Update: UFC president Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto that GSP vs. Bisping in Toronto is "not happening," though Bisping wants it.)