Conor McGregor has an outstanding fine with the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) and the state where he is slated to fight next has taken notice.
The New York State Athletic Commission (NYSAC) is "closely monitoring" McGregor's situation with the NAC, per a statement sent to MMA Fighting from New York Department of State spokesperson Laz Benitez on Monday. McGregor was fined $75,000 by the Nevada commission for his role in a water-bottle-and-energy drink-throwing fracas at a UFC 202 pre-fight press conference.
A fine with no suspension is not grounds for prohibiting a fighter a license to compete, the statement read. But the NYSAC does expect "licensees to resolve disciplinary actions and comply with lawful final orders issued by the states in which they have chosen to compete," per the statement.
The full text of the statement is below:
The New York State Athletic Commission is aware of the Order issued by the Nevada Athletic Commission. Conor McGregor has not yet completed his application to the New York State Athletic Commission for a license, nor, to our knowledge, has he agreed to the fine levied by Nevada or exercised an appeal. It is also our understanding that the time within which Mr. McGregor may seek a legal challenge to the Nevada Order has not yet expired. An administrative fine without a concurrent suspension is not a mandatory bar to licensure. The New York State Athletic Commission expects its licensees to resolve disciplinary actions and comply with lawful final orders issued by the states in which they have chosen to compete, and will be closely monitoring this matter.
A representative for McGregor could not be reached for comment Monday.
The NAC sent the NYSAC the order it has issued to McGregor last week. McGregor has been defiant about the fine, telling Rolling Stone "good luck trying to get it."
"I don't see Nevada in my future, for the foreseeable future is how I see it," McGregor said. "I'm free to do what I want. ... I'm good. I'm good. New York, New York. That's what I think."
McGregor, 28, is set to challenge Eddie Alvarez for the UFC lightweight title in the main event of UFC 205 on Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden. It'll be one of the biggest events in UFC history and McGregor is the promotion's greatest drawing card. It is also the first event the promotion has ever run in New York City. The state just legalized MMA back in April.
On Aug. 17, both McGregor and Nate Diaz and their respective teams hurled water bottles and other foreign objects at each other during a UFC press conference at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. McGregor threw an energy drink can in the direction of Diaz's team. Diaz's disciplinary hearing in front of the NAC is likely to be Nov. 10.
McGregor was fined $75,000 two weeks ago at the NAC's monthly meeting. He will also have to complete 50 hours of community service and a public-service announcement, an estimated value of another $75,000, per the commission.
"I understand that he's upset," NAC executive Bob Bennett told MMA Fighting last week. "I understand that he commands a phenomenal following and paydays and he's a world-renowned champ. I get that he's frustrated — $75,000 is a lot of money. But I think the remark is inappropriate. In fairness to Conor — and I say this with the utmost respect — I just don't think he understands how the system works when he's fined."