Ev Ting did it again. The 26-year-old Malaysian featherweight shrugged off underdog odds and gave his hometown fans a show to remember on Friday, outclassing Eric Kelly for three rounds before ending the night with a guillotine choke finish in the main event of ONE Championship 38.
Ting (11-3) dominated from the outset, blitzing Kelly (12-2) with a salvo of punches and kicks, securing a pair of first-round takedowns, and smashing his Filipino foe with two huge grounded knees to the head as Kelly attempted to stand.
Another nasty swarm of punches from top control nearly sent Kelly home towards the end of the opening frame, and though Kelly slowed the storm by taking Ting down midway through the second, Ting answered by reversing position and riding out the end of the round on top.
The finish came soon after. Ting opened the final stanza by fighting off a single leg takedown, then snaked his arms around Kelly's neck for a standing guillotine attempt. Sensing the end, Ting quickly jumped guard and rolled Kelly over into a mounted guillotine, coaxing a tapout at 1:58 of the third.
"Marat Gafurov, I'm coming for you. Where is that belt at?" Ting said afterward, calling out ONE's reigning featherweight champion, who last year submitted Ting via first-round rear-naked choke.
Video of Friday's main event can be seen below, along with complete results from the rest of the ONE Championship 38 card.
- Ev Ting def. Eric Kelly via submission (guillotine choke) at 1:58 of R3
- Eduard Folayang def. Tetsuya Yamada via unanimous decision
- Jake Butler def. Tatsuya Mizuno via TKO (strikes) at 4:30 of R1
- Geje Eustaquio def. Saiful Merican via knockout (punch and soccer kick) at 1:21 of R1
- Samir Mrabet def. Sami Amin via submission (arm triangle choke) at 1:31 of R2
- Keanu Subba def. Rayner Kinsiong via TKO (punches) at 2:01 of R1
- Christian Lee def. Mahmoud Mohamed via submission (shoulder lock) at 2:20 of R1
- Agllan Thani def. James Kouame via submission (guillotine choke) at 1:12 of R2
- Saygid Guseyn Arslanallev def. Reant Fabriza Rainir via TKO (punches) at 0:32 of R1
- Jenny Huang def. Amir Badr via submission (triangle choke) at 3:09 of R2