Reports stated last week that Conor McGregor would be meeting Rafael dos Anjos in the main event of UFC 197 on March 5 in Las Vegas. The UFC has yet to confirm or deny, though MMA Fighting sources have confirmed it is true.
Still, with no announcement over the weekend as expected, fans are getting impatient. Will McGregor be fighting in two months? Well, his striking coach Owen Roddy said he is "sure" of it.
"All I know just from listening to Conor is that he is fighting March 5," Roddy told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "The opponent is up in the air. It could be dos Anjos. It could be whoever. But the thing is Conor is looking to fight March 5. Realistically, everybody wants to see Conor, so the opponent is not really important. I'm sure he'll be fighting March 5. So stay tuned."
McGregor's head coach John Kavanagh reiterated Roddy's words on Twitter.
McGregor (19-2) won the UFC featherweight title from Jose Aldo via a 13-second knockout at UFC 194 last month. The Irishman has said that it is his desire to move up to lightweight and take that belt as well. Dos Anjos is the current champion at 155 and coming off a 66-second smashing of Donald Cerrone at UFC on FOX 17 a week after McGregor's KO of Aldo.
Brazilian outlet Lance and Bleacher Report's Jeremy Botter both reported Thursday night that dos Anjos would defend the lightweight belt against McGregor at UFC 197. McGregor would attempt to be the first fighter ever to hold belts in two different UFC divisions at the same time.
If not dos Anjos, McGregor could defend the featherweight title against Frankie Edgar on March 5. Edgar is coming off a first-round knockout of Chad Mendes at The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale in December.