Welterweight headliner Jake Shields is among four fighters who face potential six-month medical suspensions in the aftermath of Saturday night's World Series of Fighting 22 event, the Nevada Athletic Commission announced Monday.
Shields, who lost his title bid to WSOF welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares in controversial fashion, will be required to seek medical clearance on his right shoulder and right knee, along with ophthalmological clearance on both of his eyes, or be forced to sit out until Feb. 2016.
The suspensions aren't a surprise, as Shields was transported the hospital with his arm in a sling and complaints of blurred vision following his foul-laden loss to Palhares.
Aside from Shields, three other fighters on the card face upwards of six months on the sidelines due to injuries suffered during their respective bouts. That list is as follows: WSOF bantamweight champion Marlon Moraes (nose), Abubakar Nurmagomedov (right foot), and Gil Guardado (nose).
WSOF 22 took place Aug. 1 at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. The night's main card aired live on NBC Sports Network.
A complete list of WSOF 22 medical suspensions can be found below.
- Jake Shields: Requires orthopedic clearance on right shoulder and right knee, as well as ophthalmological clearance or no contest until 02/01/16; no contact regardless until 09/01/15 due to left eyebrow laceration
- Marlon Moraes: Requires x-ray of nose, if positive then must be cleared by doctor or no contest until 02/01/16
- Abubakar Nurmagomedov: Requires x-ray of right foot, if positive then must be cleared by doctor or no contest until 02/01/16
- Gil Guardado: Requires fractured nose to be cleared by doctor or no contest until 02/01/16; minimum suspension no contest until 09/16/15, no contact until 09/01/15
- Jorge Moreno: Suspended until 09/16/15, no contact until 09/01/15 due to right eyelid laceration
- Jimmy Spicuzza: Suspended until 09/01/15, no contact until 08/23/15
- David Clark: Requires follow-up with primary doctor regarding possible anemia after this fight and must submit new blood test results before next fight