clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

What’s next for 'Jacare' after being passed over for title shot? ‘Nobody else makes sense’

New, comments
Jason Silva-USA TODAY Sports

Luke Rockhold is the next in line for a shot at UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, and Ronaldo Souza is now left without an opponent.

"Jacare" was considered to be the next in line after winning five in a row in the UFC, but Rockhold, who finished the likes of Lyoto Machida and Michael Bisping in his current four-fight winning streak, was announced on Wednesday as the next middleweight contender.

"We don't have the fight set up yet, we don't know when it's going to be. But that will be the fight," White announcedon UFC Tonight. "Luke Rockhold will get the next shot at the title."

The only top five middleweights currently not booked are Vitor Belfort, who just lost to Weidman at UFC 187, and Anderson Silva, temporarily suspended after failing drug tests earlier this year.

"The only two fighters that make sense to ‘Jacare’ to fight are Weidman and Rockhold," Souza’s manager Gilberto Faria told MMAFighting.com. "Nobody else makes sense at this point."

"Jacare" was matched against Yoel Romero twice this year, but ended up facing Chris Camozzi at UFC on FOX 15 when Romero pulled out with an injury. Romero is now scheduled to meet Machida on June 27, and Souza would be willing to face the winner of Romero vs. Machida in the meantime.

""We don't have a official position yet," Faria said. "The only fight that might make sense in the future, and to keep ‘Jacare’s’ rhythm for a future title shot, would be face the winner of Lyoto Machida vs. Yoel Romero. So doing that we will avoid ‘Jacare’ getting rusty from not fighting for the title belt.

"It might take more time, but this UFC middleweight title is coming to 'Jacare', and whomever has it be ready to battle."