But "The Answer" is determined not to let it happen again.
The former UFC lightweight champion has decided the only fight which makes sense at this point in his career is another title shot. Edgar, who has won four consecutive fights, expects to meet the winner of the Aldo-Conor McGregor bout at UFC 189 and will not accept another opponent. MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported the tidbit on Wednesday night's edition of UFC Tonight.
Edgar (19-4-1) gave longtime champion Aldo the tightest fight of his reign in a unanimous decision loss at UFC 156. Since then, Edgar has won four consecutive fights, including a one-sided victory which sent B.J. Penn into retirement; a submission at 4:56 of the fifth round against Cub Swanson; and most recently, a one-sided decision over Urijah Faber.
But Edgar was passed over for the title shot in favor of McGregor, something Edgar's manager, Ali Abdel-Aziz, says will not happen again.
"We're not going to let them step over us a second-time," Abdel-Aziz said.
Edgar will be attendance at UFC 189, and if he doesn't get a shot at the winner, Abdel-Aziz claims they'll show up at Zuffa headquarters in Las Vegas.
"There's going to be a riot," he said.