RIO DE JANEIRO -- Who will go for takedowns at UFC 189?
Jose Aldo faces Conor McGregor on July 11 in Las Vegas, and "The Notorious" predicted the champion, a high-level striker and a black belt in jiu-jitsu, "will turn into a grappler" after the first exchange.
Andre Pederneiras, Aldo’s head coach in Rio de Janeiro, believes it’s going to be the opposite on fight night.
"In my mind, Conor will be the one to become a wrestler," Pederneiras said during a press conference in Rio de Janeiro. "I believe McGregor will become a wrestler in the middle of the fight. Where he believes he’s good at, in the middle of the fight he will realize he’s not that good. He will try to grapple with Aldo. He doesn’t have an idea who he’s going to fight. He will go for takedowns during the fight."
According to the Nova Uniao head coach, McGregor might bring something new to UFC 189, but will eventually do what he always does.
"I don’t think Conor has done anything different than he has ever done," he said. "He’s not in Ireland, he’s in Las Vegas, and maybe he got a wizard to change his game. We see how the fighter reacts when he’s under pressure, what he does. That’s something we look at a lot. When he’s under pressure, he will do exactly what he always does."
Aldo’s eighth UFC title defense takes place July 11 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage