clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Jon Jones pulled from UFC rankings following suspension, stripping of title

Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Jon Jones might remain one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world. But there's no longer any record of it, at least not on the UFC's official rankings.

The former UFC light heavyweight champion was removed entirely from the pound-for-pound and light heavyweight rankings Wednesday morning. That action follows the UFC suspending the star fighter indefinitely and stripping him of his light heavyweight title Tuesday night in the wake of his felony arrest on a hit-and-run charge.

Also on Wednesday, Reebok, the UFC's official uniform sponsor, terminated its individual deal with Jones.

Jones, 27, was ranked the top pound-for-pound fighter in the UFC and he was atop the light heavyweight rankings as the champion. He was scheduled to defend his belt against Anthony Johnson at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas, but now Daniel Cormier will take his spot. Johnson and Cormier will fight for the vacant title.

Jose Aldo is now the top pound-for-pound fighter in the UFC, per the rankings. Demetrious Johnson moved up to No. 2 with Chris Weidman following at No. 3. On the light heavyweight list, Johnson is No. 1, followed by Alexander Gustafsson and Daniel Cormier.

On Sunday, Jones was allegedly involved in a three-car, hit-and-run incident in Albuquerque, N.M. A man suspected to be Jones ran a red light in a rented Buick SUV and slammed into another car, driven by a pregnant woman. The woman sustained a fractured arm as a result of the crash.

Jones then allegedly bolted from his rental vehicle and fled the scene on foot, but not before grabbing a handful of cash and stuffing it into his pants. He was identified at the scene by an off-duty police officer and UFC fan.

Albuquerque police found a marijuana pipe with marijuana inside it and paperwork with the name "Jonathan Jones" inside the rental vehicle. They also found paperwork that referenced MMA and Nevada.

Jones was incommunicable for more than 24 hours until a warrant was issued for his arrest Monday afternoon. Arrangements were made at that time for Jones to turn himself in to the Albuquerque Police Department. He was arrested Monday night and posted $2,500 bail after being booked at the Metro Detention Center.

On Tuesday, Jones made his felony first appearance in San Bernalillo Metropolitan Court. He was released at that point on continued bond. The district attorney will now make the determination to take the case to a grand jury. Jones will only give a plea if he is indicted by a grand jury.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Fighting Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Fighting