Quinton Jackson was been embroiled in a legal battle with Bellator MMA and parent company Viacom for nearly a year. On Friday night, he showed up at the promotion's fights in St. Louis.
Was "Rampage" just in attendance to enjoy some mixed martial arts action? Or was there something to be gleaned from his presence at cageside? Bellator president Scott Coker claimed the latter at the Bellator 145 post-fight press conference.
"It's still status quo and he was here to watch the fights," Coker said. "And that's pretty much all I want to say."
Jackson, 37, shocked the MMA world last December when he announced that he was re-signing with the UFC when everyone thought he was still under contract with Bellator. The problem was Bellator, too, believed he was still under contract with them.
Viacom took Jackson to court and tried to put a stop to him fighting at UFC 186 in March with an injunction. Days before the bout with Fabio Maldonado, a New Jersey judge reversed the injunction and Jackson ended up fighting, defeating Maldonado by unanimous decision.
Little has been heard about the case since then. Jackson said last month on The MMA Hour that he feels like he fought his last fight. However, the former PRIDE star has said more recently that he might just settle with Bellator so he can make money fighting again. "Rampage" also has expressed interest in fighting for Rizin Fighting Federation, the new Japanese promotion led by former PRIDE boss Nobuyuki Sakakibara.
Jackson loves Japan and he is a huge draw there. Rizin is holding an event on New Year's Eve week in Tokyo. Sakakibara was in attendance at Bellator 145 on Friday to announce that Jackson rival Muhammed Lawal would be competing in a Rizin grand prix light heavyweight tournament in December. Rizin will air on tape delay in the United States on Spike TV on Dec. 30 at 10 a.m.