A week after suffering another injury, Khabib Nurmagomedov has yet to decide whether he's going to return to mixed martial arts.
The undefeated Nurmagomedov had to pull out of a highly anticipated bout with Tony Ferguson at The Dec. 11 Ultimate Fighter Finale in Las Vegas due to a rib injury. That was the latest in a string of injuries which has kept him out of competition since his his April 29, 2014 victory over current UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos.
After the mishap occurred, Nurmagomedov made a post to Instagram in which he said "I'm not sure if I will ever come back." On Wednesday's edition of UFC Tonight, MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported that even after a week to think about things, the American Kickboxing Academy fighter has yet to decide if he's going to follow through on thoughts of retirement.
Nurmagomedov's management team, Dominance MMA, said he suffered the injury during a light grappling session with Islam Makchaev in Russia. They also said he was not sparring or doing "anything strenuous" during the training session which led to the injury.
Nurmagomedov was replaced by Edson Barboza in the TUF Finale bout.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage