clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Dana White: UFC is 'working on' Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort 2

Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Two of the biggest Brazilian stars could be facing off again soon.

UFC president Dana White said on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, taped on the plane home from Australia, that the promotion was currently in discussions about putting together a rematch between Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort.

Rogan, the UFC's color commentator and host of the podcast, asked White if that was the fight that was going to be made next. Rogan expressed his desire to see it, saying "that's the fight." White agreed.

"I know," White said. "I don't disagree. We're working on it."

White said he thinks Belfort is into the matchup. He did not mention whether Silva would be.

The two men fought in the main event of UFC 126 in 2011. Silva won famously via first-round knockout with a front kick to the face. The sequence became a UFC video game cover box. The Silva-Belfort fight has also been credited with a jump in Silva's pay-per-view popularity and the spike in interest of the UFC in their home country. The two men did not like each other at the time, splitting the allegiances of Brazilian fans.

Silva (33-6, 1 NC), the former UFC middleweight champion and regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter of all time by some, will be coming off a steroid suspension on Feb. 1. The UFC is planning a big event in Brazil in the first quarter of 2016. The first bout between the two legends was in Las Vegas. Silva is now 40 years old.

Belfort (25-11), who has been accused of performance-enhancing drug use himself and had a sketchy 2012 drug test released by Deadspin in recent months, is coming off a first-round TKO win over Dan Henderson earlier this month in Sao Paulo. The 38-year-old is a former UFC light heavyweight champion.