It seems the new year has done little to curb 2014's injury woes. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza was forced to withdraw from his middleweight contendership fight against Yoel Romero at UFC 184 due to a bout of pneumonia, the UFC announced late Thursday night.
As a result, Souza vs. Romero has been scratched from the Feb. 28 card entirely and will be rescheduled for a later date.
UFC 184 takes place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California and airs live on pay-per-view. A pair of title fights headline the event, as UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman looks to defend his belt against Vitor Belfort, and women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey takes on undefeated challenger Cat Zingano.
A former Strikeforce champion, Souza (21-3, 1 NC) has run roughshod over the UFC's middleweight ranks since joining the promotion in mid-2013. The 35-year-old has bested Chris Camozzi, Yushin Okami, Francis Carmont, and Gegard Mousasi in succession, finishing all but one of those fights and looking extremely impressive in doing so.
A fellow Strikefroce crossover, Romero (9-1) has enjoyed similar success since joining the UFC following the dissolution of Strikeforce, rolling to a perfect 5-0 record and finishing all but one of his fights. The winner of his clash against Souza was likely primed to contend for the UFC middleweight title, but now it appears that both men will have to wait.
An updated UFC 184 fight card can be seen below.
- Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort
- Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano
- Jake Ellenberger vs. Josh Koscheck
- Holly Holm vs. Raquel Pennington
- Tony Ferguson vs. Yancy Medeiros
- Mark Munoz vs. Roan Carneiro
- Alan Jouban vs. Richard Walsh
- Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. Roman Salazar
- Derrick Lewis vs. Ruan Potts
- James Krause vs. Valmir Lazaro
- Masio Fullen vs. Alexander Torres