clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

At 38 years old, heavyweight Sean McCorkle calls it a career

New, 7 comments
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Heavyweight Sean McCorkle is retiring from competing in mixed martial arts. "Big Sexy" appeared on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour to make it official.

The 38-year old McCorkle last fought on Sept. 20 in a rematch with Richard White in Square Ring Promotions, and lost via first round armbar. Over his last six fights, McCorkle lost five, including his rematch with Polish strongman Mariusz Pudzianowski at KSW 24 in Sept of last year. That one came via unanimous decision in a two-round main event.

Citing herniated discs that have been making his life miserable -- as well as confessing to not really enjoying fighting -- McCorkle was very lighthearted in his retirement announcement.

"Believe it or not, despite my current streak, I'm actually going to be stepping down from being a fighter," he told host Ariel Helwani. "It's probably one of the worst professions of all time. Yeah, I'm going to be retiring from MMA, not that anyone cares because I've only fought once in the last year."

McCorkle is best known for his short stint in the UFC in late-2010/early-2011. In his UFC debut he upset Mark Hunt at UFC 119 in Indianapolis. The win, coupled with his boisterous personality on social media, prompted the UFC to book him in a co-main event for his second fight at UFC 124 against Stefan Struve in Montreal. McCorkle lost that fight via first-round TKO. His last fight in the UFC came against Christian Morecraft three months later, when he succumbed to a guillotine in the second round.

McCorkle finishes his career with a record of 17-7, with only two of those fights making it to the scorecards. Asked what he would do next, McCorkle said that he was going to get into fighter management.

"That's kind of the direction I'm headed," he said.