When Dana White announced last week that Khabib Nurmagomedov had suffered a knee injury, which forced him out of a planned fight against Donald Cerrone in September, he wasn't sure just how serious the injury was. In other words, there still appeared to be some hope that the fight could made this year.
However, Mike Constantino, one of Nurmagomedov's managers, informed MMAFighting.com that the lightweight contender received word on Tuesday that he had suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee, which will require surgery. Right now, Nurmagomedov is expected to be out of action until January.
White said on Friday that both Cerrone and Nurmagomedov agreed to the fight, and then less than 30 minutes later disaster struck.
"That fight is made -- it’s done," White said. "Twenty minutes later, [Nurmagomedov] went into the gym and blew his knee out. Twenty. F---ing. Minutes. Later.
"It was done. The bout agreements, done. Email went out last night from [UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva saying that this fight is done, both contracts were signed…boom, 20 minutes later, you’re not going to f---ing believe this, the fight is off."
The 22-0 Dagestani fighter is 6-0 in the UFC, most recently defeating Rafael dos Anjos via unanimous decision in April. No word just yet on who Cerrone will be fighting next instead.