Welterweight headliners Matt Brown and Erick Silva were among five fighters to receive indefinite medical suspensions for injuries sustained at UFC Fight Night 40, which took place May 10, 2014 at the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati, OH.
The Ohio Athletic Commission (OAC) handed down the list of medical suspensions from the event on Monday. Brown and Silva engaged in a thrilling and brutal battle in the night's headlining bout, which Brown won via third-round TKO. Brown will now require doctor's clearance on his right elbow before being allowed to fight again, while Silva will require the same for his jaw.
In addition, the OAC handed down minor suspensions to six fighters on the card, including bantamweight veteran Johnny Eduardo.
Eduardo, who scored the night's biggest upset when he opened the FOX Sports 2 preliminary card by knocking out Eddie Wineland, received a 30-day punishment for unsportsmanlike conduct due to throwing his mouthpiece into the stands.
A complete list of UFC Fight Night 40 medical suspensions can be seen below.
- Manny Gamburyan: Suspended indefinitely; requires ophthalmologist clearance on right eye
- Erick Silva: Suspended for 60 days; additional indefinite suspension pending physician's clearance on jaw
- Eddie Wineland: Suspended 60 days for TKO loss, stitches in lip area; additional indefinite suspension pending physician's clearance on potential broken jaw
- Matt Brown: Suspended for 45 days; additional indefinite suspension pending physician's clearance on right elbow
- Ed Herman: Suspended 30 days; additional indefinite suspension pending physician's clearance on right hand
- Lorenz Larkin: Suspended for 60 days
- Ruan Potts: Suspended for 60 days
- Ben Wall: Suspended for 60 days
- Anthony Lapsley: Suspended for 60 days
- Erik Koch: Suspended for 30 days
- Johnny Eduardo: Suspended 30 days for unsportsmanlike conduct - throwing mouthpiece into the stands