clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Nick Diaz offered fight against Hector Lombard, hasn't decided whether to accept

New, comments
USA TODAY Sports

LOS ANGELES -- Dana White has made another attempt to lure the enigmatic Nick Diaz out of retirement.

The 209's favorite son hasn't fought since his loss to then-welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre a year ago, but has given indications he'd return from exile for the right fight.

White wants to match up Diaz with welterweight contender Hector Lombard.

According to White, Diaz expressed interest in the bout, but he hasn't heard back from the former Strikeforce welterweight champion after an initial conversation.

"I tried to make Nick and Lombard," White said Wednesday. "Nick and I talked, and I haven't heard back from him, he went MIA."

In December, Diaz flat-out turned down a potential rematch with Carlos Condit. But Diaz resurfaced at last month's UFC 171 and proclaimed himself ready to return to the sport.

Just when he will return, though, remains to be seen.

"He said he liked the fight and then I never heard from him again," White said.

Lombard, meanwhile, is 2-0 since dropping down from middleweight to welterweight. The former Bellator middleweight champion scored a dominant win over Jake Shields at UFC 171.