Cris "Cyborg" Justino may have fallen short on Friday night at Lion Fight 14, but she still topped opponent Jorina Baars in one major way: salary.
Cyborg, Invicta FC's current featherweight champion, earned $25,000 for her third foray into professional kickboxing, according to information released to MMAFighting.com by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).
By contrast, the still undefeated Baars took home a reported purse of $5,000 for her unanimous decision victory over Cyborg, which took place at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas NV.
The longer, taller and more experienced Baars battered a game Cyborg for five rounds, dropping the MMA fighter several times with a dazzling array of front kicks and knees to claim Lion Fight's inaugural women's welterweight title. Three ringside judges scored the contest 49-45, 48-45, and 49-44, all in Baars' favor.
"It's a different sport," a beaten but still smiling Cyborg said afterward. "I compete sometimes in jiu-jitsu as a world champ, and I tried to be a champ (in kickboxing).
"Who inside MMA that's a champion goes to fight Muay Thai? Nobody. But I love competing."
Cyborg also received a 45-day medical suspension from the NSAC following the conclusion of the bout, with no contact allowed until April 28, 2014.
A complete list of Lion Fight 14 salaries and medical suspensions can be seen below.
Lion Fight 14 salaries
- Gregory Choplin ($6,000) def. Marco Pique ($5,000)
- Jorina Baars ($5,000) def. Cris Cyborg ($25,000)
- Shane Oblonsky ($2,500) def. Malaipet ($6,500)
- Eddie Abasolo ($1,000) def. Jonathon Wyderko ($1,000)
- Victor Saravia ($700) def. Anthony Castrejon ($2,000)
- Gaston Bolanos ($700) def. Brian Del Rosario ($700)
Lion Fight 14 medical suspensions
- Brian Del Rosario: Suspended until 05/28/14; no contact until 05/13/14
- Cris Cyborg: Suspended until 05/13/14; no contact until 04/28/14
- Malaipet: Suspended until 05/13/14; no contact until 04/28/14
- Anthony Castrejon: Suspended until 05/13/14; no contact until 04/28/14
- Jorina Baars: Suspended until 04/28/14; no contact until 04/19/14
- Shane Oblonsky: Suspended until 04/28/14; no contact until 04/19/14; knee injury
- Jonathon Wyderko: Suspended until 04/28/14; no contact until 04/19/14