clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Georges St-Pierre medically cleared to resume MMA training

Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

Georges St-Pierre is one step closer to fighting again.

The former UFC welterweight champion has been medically cleared to resume MMA training, according to UFC president Dana White. St-Pierre met with his doctor this week in Los Angeles.

"They cleared GSP’s knee," White told UFC.com. "After surgery like that it still takes about another 30 days before you start to mentally feel right. But he’s in a good spot."

The 33-year-old St-Pierre suffered a torn left ACL in March and hasn't fought since last November. After defeating Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 to retain the welterweight title, he decided to relinquish it in order to take some time off from the sport. He has never officially announced his retirement or his intentions to fight again.

Since then, Johny Hendricks won the vacant welterweight title by defeating Robbie Lawler, and he'll defend the title for the first time in a rematch against Lawler at UFC 181 on Dec. 6. UFC president Dana White has publicly stated that St-Pierre would receive an immediate title shot if he ever returns to the UFC and has always been confident GSP would fight again.

St-Pierre confirmed to MMAFighting.com that he met with White and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta on Monday in Montreal, however, he wouldn't disclose how the meeting went.

"His knee just got cleared and he’ll start training again and getting back into shape. He’ll let us know when he’s ready [to fight again]," White said.

Earlier this month, St-Pierre's former manager Stephane Patry told RDS in Quebec that St-Pierre had officially decided to return, but GSP later refuted that report to MMAFighting.com, stating he had yet to make up his mind.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Fighting Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Fighting