clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Dana White: UFC won't counter-program Bellator pay-per-view

New, comments
Esther Lin

BOSTON -- To say the UFC has been known to counter-program their opposition would be an understatement.

Competitors from Elite XC to Strikeforce to Affliction suddenly found UFC shows popping up on the same night as their own events over the years.

But according to UFC president Dana White, the company has no plans on countering Bellator MMA's first foray into the pay-per-view business. Asked point-blank at Thursday's UFC Fight Night press conference at the Wang Center whether the company would run a show on Nov. 2, the night of Bellator's event in Long Beach, Calif., White simply said "Nope."

Another point White made clear: He was among those watching last week's Bellator press conference featuring co-headliners and former UFC light heavyweight champions Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Tito Ortiz.

"I'm sure you guys saw, when they did the press conference, all they talked about was me," White said. "What are they going to talk about, the fight?

White imitated reporters asking Jackson and Ortiz questions. "Well you guys have lost your last 10 fights, who do you think this fight is going to go?' ‘Well I can tell you this, one of us is going to win. Someone's 0 must go.'"

When asked why the company won't counter Bellator the way he has other competitors, White remained dismissive.

"My video blog does more f--- viewers than their television show does," he said. "I'm not feeling very competitive."

Still, he couldn't resist taking a shot at Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney.

"Those guys, I saw Bjork was talking some smack, I'm like, dude, just shut up and run your business," he said. "That's what you should have done when you started and you had some legs to stand on. They're hurting."