UFC on FOX is headed back to Seattle, and a local star wants to headline the show.
The promotion announced Friday that it will hold UFC on FOX 8 at Key Arena on July 27. The Seattle Times first reported the news.
Following the announcement, UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson, who lives just outside of Seattle in Kirkland, Wash., told MMAFighting.com that he wants to fight in the main event.
"Spread the word, I want the UFC on FOX 8 headline spot, if it hasn't been filled yet," he wrote via text message.
Johnson (17-2-1) was supposed to defend his belt against John Moraga on April 13, but he was forced to withdraw from the fight due to a shoulder injury, which he recently underwent successful surgery for. "Mighty Mouse" told FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" on Tuesday that he wanted to headline the inaugural UFC on FOX Sports 1 show on Aug. 17, but that was before he knew the UFC was returning to Seattle.
This will mark the second UFC on FOX event held at Key Arena. The first, UFC on FOX 5, took place in Dec. 2012.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage