clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

UFC Fight Night 33 bonuses: Mark Hunt, 'Bigfoot' Silva earn Fight of the Night honors

Bradley Kanaris

In what can only be labeled an instant classic, UFC heavyweights Mark Hunt and Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva fought to a majority draw in the main event of UFC Fight Night 33 on Friday night in Brisbane, Australia. For their efforts, UFC brass awarded them Fight of the Night honors where they each claimed $50,000 on top of their existing fight purses.

Over the course of five rounds, Hunt, 39, and Silva, 34, took turns gaining the upper hand on one another, each claiming their moments in the fight. Hunt started slow, but eventually found a home for his right hand, dropping Silva in the third round and battering the Brazilian over the final two frames. Silva, to his credit, managed to hang on and claimed an early lead with deft outside leg kicks and strong defense that never gave the head-hunting Kiwi the opening he needed.

By the fourth round, Silva and Hunt, both exhausted, began to simply wing shots, each landing almost at will. Silva eventually found himself on top of Hunt and tried to work for a ground and pound finish, but couldn't make it happen. In the fifth frame, Hunt landed more offense, but both were badly bloodied, excruciatingly tired and unable to put the other away despite toe-to-toe exchanges were either competitor was able to land crushing punches.

Eventually the judges couldn't come to an official decision, scoring the bout 48-47 Hunt and 47-47, 47-47, calling it a majority draw. Hunt moves to 9-8-1 in professional mixed martial arts while Silva is now 18-5-1.

Claiming Knockout of the Night honors - and earning an extra $50,000 in the process - was former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua, 32, who earned a brutal knockout stoppage over hometown fighter James Te Huna, 32. Rua, coming off of a first-round submission loss to Chael Sonnen, was aiming to prove he was still a viable fighter in the division and did so with extreme ease. After little more than a minute, Shogun timed an overly pursuing Te Huna with a cracking left hook that completely removed his conscious, sending him crashing and even bouncing to the mat. Rua followed up with a right hand, but it was a formality. The referee stopped the action officially at 1:03 of the first round.

Te Huna sinks to 16-7 in professional MMA while Shogun climbs to 22-8.

There was no Submission of the Night. UFC Fight Night 33 took place at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Bisbane, Queensland, Austraila. The bouts aired on Facebook, Fox Sports 2 and Fox Sports 1.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Fighting Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Fighting