Hundreds of houses were destroyed in one of the worst fire tragedies in Brazil’s history.
A fire devastated more than 10 blocks on Wednesday afternoon at the neighborhood of Perpetuo Socorro in Macapa, Brazil. The local police still have no information on how the fire started, but it has destroyed hundreds of houses in four hours.
One of the houses destroyed by the fire was John Teixeira (15-1-2), who competed at the first season of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil in 2012.
"The fire is over, but destroyed part of the neighborhood where I live," Teixeira told MMAFighting.com. "My house is completely destroyed, I lost everything. I saved some furniture, but I lost everything."
Teixeira is living in a friend’s house since the tragedy, and will likely postpone his return to the cage, initially planned for a Shooto Brazil edition on Dec. 20 in Sao Paulo. Teixeira is 3-0-1 since his UFC release following a unanimous decision loss to Hugo Viana at UFC 147.
"I will stay at a friend’s house until the government does something to help the population," he said. "Hundreds of people lost their houses. At least 300 houses were destroyed by the fire, and they don’t know what started the fire yet."
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage