During a Thursday press conference, the World Series of Fighting mixed martial arts promotion announced its arrival, with its first event scheduled for Nov. 3 in Las Vegas. That announcement was accompanied by a declaration that the promotion had also inked a one-year deal with the NBC Sports Network.
On Friday, an NBC spokesperson told MMA Fighting that the agreement between the parties solely covers the WSOF's first event.
"We are currently scheduled to air this one night of World Series of Fighting on NBC Sports Network," a network representative said in an email. "The agreement is for one event and we’ll evaluate after this Nov. 3 fight."
No other details of the deal were available.
On Thursday, Ray Sefo, the WSOF's president had said that the organization had a one-year deal and hoped to deliver eight to 10 events shows during that time.
Still, a premiere on the national cable television outlet must be considered a coup for a promoter that will be producing its first-ever event.
NBC Sports Network was rebranded on Jan. 2 from its former name, Versus. This will be the network's first foray back into MMA since its rights to broadcast UFC events expired in late 2011. The network was reportedly in on the bidding for MMA's biggest promotion last year, but the rights ultimately went to FOX.
All told, Versus broadcast six UFC events, drawing an average of about 868,000 viewers. Prior to that, Versus was the home of the WEC.
WSOF's show will emanate from Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino and feature former UFC and WEC star Miguel Torres in his first match since parting ways with Zuffa. In addition, familiar names such as Bobby Lashley, Gerald Harris and Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante are scheduled for the event.