clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Nevada State Athletic Commission Confirms Positive Test at UFC 143

New, comments

Someone tested positive for something at UFC 143, but so far the Nevada State Athletic Commission has not said who or what.

Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has confirmed that someone tested positive for a banned substance in drug testing at UFC 143. What has not yet been confirmed is who that someone was, or what that substance was.

In an e-mail to the media sent on Thursday, Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer acknowledged that there has been great sustained interest in knowing what the results of drug tests were at UFC 143, and he confirmed that someone tested positive. But he declined to elaborate further than that.

"Thank you for the many email and phone calls. I am still waiting for all the steroid and drug test results to come back. We did have at least one positive test. I will send out an email later today on that matter," Kizer said in his e-mail, in which the word "many" was bolded.

What is still unknown is what the test result was, what the consequences will be for the fighter who tested positive, and whether any appeals are forthcoming.

In the main event at UFC 143, Carlos Condit defeated Nick Diaz by unanimous decision. UFC President Dana White said this week that Condit agreed to a rematch, but Diaz's manager Cesar Gracie later said there will be no rematch, without explaining why.