clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Despite losses in four straight UFC bouts, Leonard Garcia will stay employed

New, comments
Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

For Leonard Garcia, Saturday night was another display of blood and guts that ended in defeat. The UFC 155 setback -- a split-decision against Max Holloway -- made it losses in four in a row and five of the last six for the Texas brawler, numbers that usually end with a pink slip. Garcia, it seems, has someone watching over him.

Despite facing the end of his run, he'll get another reprieve, according to UFC president Dana White.

White said that at one point of the night, matchmaker Sean Shelby walked up to him and said that he didn't want to cut Garcia.

White, who doesn't usually make snap decisions about such matters, did so this time.

"I said there's no way in hell we're cutting Leonard Garcia," he said.

White has often acknowledged Garcia as the type of showman who earn such latitude due to his fighting spirit. Garcia has captured six Fight of the Night bonuses during his Zuffa tenure, which dates back to 2007.

His bout with Holloway didn't win a bonus award but was vintage Garcia, as he got rocked early but mounted a comeback in a fight that more resembled his hard-charging style than Holloway's fluid approach.

Garcia rose as high as No. 1 featherweight contender back in 2009 when he faced Mike Brown, but he lost via submission. Since then, he's gone 3-6-1 with all three of his wins by split-decision. Despite his struggles, he'll get at least one more chance to prove he deserves to remain in the octagon.