Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz is all but set for the UFC's return to Montreal.
According to UFC president Dana White, the promotion has offered both GSP and Diaz a fight on March 16 in Montreal for the UFC welterweight title, however, the "deal isn't done" yet, White told MMAFighting.com Wednesday.
Diaz's manager Cesar Gracie confirmed the fight has been offered to Diaz, however, he said Diaz has yet to sign the contract. He was hoping to get that done either today or tomorrow. As far as Gracie is concerned, signing the contract appears to be a formality.
St-Pierre's manager Rodolphe Beaulieu was not immediately available for a comment when reached by MMAFighting.com.
White said last week in Seattle that while the UFC wanted to book St-Pierre vs. Anderson Silva, the Canadian welterweight champion asked to fight Diaz first.
"Georges St-Pierre has been a phenomenal champion, just a great guy to deal with for us," White said last week prior to UFC on FOX 5. "He doesn't ask for things. So if he wants to fight Nick Diaz, and Nick Diaz wants to fight him, then that's probably the fight we'll make.
"Georges has been off for a year. (Silva is) a tough fight for him to come back to. He asked personally for the (Diaz) fight."
St-Pierre (23-2) returned to action after almost two years away from the sport due to knee surgery last month in Montreal when he defeated Carlos Condit via unanimous decision to unify the UFC welterweight title.
Diaz (26-8, 1 NC) hasn't fought since February when he lost a unanimous decision to Condit. Following the fight, Diaz was suspended for a year by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for testing positive for marijuana metabolites. His suspension expires on Feb. 4, 2013.
White also announced Wednesday that Rory MacDonald vs. Carlos Condit 2 will take place on the same card in Montreal, which is expected to be UFC 158.