clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Jeremy Stephens' management releases statement on arrest

Richard Wolowicz - Getty Images

UFC on FX 5 may be in the books, but the strange saga of Jeremy Stephens continues to unfold.

Stephens was arrested by Minneapolis police early Friday morning prior to the event, where he was scheduled to fight Yves Edwards on the night's undercard. The arrest stemmed from two assault charges related to a 2011 incident in Des Moines, Iowa.

UFC President Dana White worked with local authorities and authorities from the Des Moines police department all day on Friday in hopes of cutting a deal that would allow Stephens to fight against Edwards, however White's efforts ultimately failed and the bout was cancelled.

"Basically, he's in one of those situations where they're going to extradite him or not," White tiredly said at the post-fight press conference. "We'll see what happens with this whole thing."

"I cut the deal with people down in Des Moines, Iowa, to get him out. I accept that deal too. They changed the deal. Every time I accepted the deal, they kept trying to make it harder and harder and harder. You know me, especially after I tweeted the media to shut up, I was devising a plan to break him out and get him over here to come out and do this fight. So, they finally made this deal for an astronomical amount of money to make the deal, and I agreed to it, and then they did it again. So they're going to stick it to this kid big-time when he gets to Iowa."

According to records from Hennepin county, Stephens remains behind bars, on hold without bail at the time of this writing. Evolution Agents, Stephens' management team, issued the following statement regarding the situation:

In response to the recent arrest and allegations regarding Jeremy Stephens we would like to take this opportunity to reach out to his supporters and clarify some of the information that has been circulating in the media.

In 2011, Jeremy was attending a homecoming party in Des Moines, Iowa. A person in attendance became intoxicated and disorderly, and was asked to leave by the owner of the establishment. The intoxicated individual subsequently became involved in a physical altercation with another person at the event. We have learned that, as the featured guest at the party, Jeremy's name came up during the police investigation of the assault.

Prior to being detained the morning of October 5, 2012, in Minneapolis, Jeremy had never been arrested in connection with the assault, contacted about any possible charge and or notified about any outstanding warrant by mail or any other means. Jeremy has lived at the same residence in San Diego and has maintained the same phone number for the past year or more. Jeremy also uses social media to provide updates on his training, and to thank fans, supporters, sponsors, and the UFC. In short, Jeremy is not a hard guy to find, which can be seen at

At this time, we do not know why Polk County (Iowa) authorities waited to have a warrant served on Jeremy until the morning of his fight. He arrived in Minnesota four days earlier, stayed at the hotel with other fighters for the event, and attended the public weigh-in on Thursday afternoon. Because he was arrested so close to the time of the fight, arrangements for his release could not be made in time for him to compete despite the diligent efforts of the UFC. Minnesota state officials were great to deal with, but Polk County kept changing the deal making it impossible to get Jeremy released.

It will take some time for this unfortunate situation to be resolved. We ask that everyone be patient and wait for the truth to come out. We also would like to thank Jeremy's fans who are standing by him during this tough time and especially Dana White and the staff at UFC for their incredible display of support for Jeremy throughout the ordeal.

There is nothing to hide, so we will keep everyone updated as things progress.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Fighting Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Fighting