clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Scott Coker: Talks With Strikeforce Light Heavyweight Champ Dan Henderson Ongoing

<! mediaid=4407012 AP: img vspace="4" hspace="4" border="1" align="right" alt="Dan Henderson" src="" />As if Scott Coker didn't have enough championship belts already in flux, Dan Henderson's last win on his Strikeforce deal just added to Coker's list.

Henderson beat Fedor Emelianenko last month to finish off his Strikeforce contract, making him a free agent. The UFC has expressed interest in bringing Henderson back into the mix, and Henderson has expressed interest in returning to the promotion.

But Coker said Tuesday nothing has been figured out yet, and that if Henderson did return to the UFC, vacating his light heavyweight title, he was not yet sure how that belt would be filled – but that the winner of a fight between Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal and Roger Gracie, on Sept. 10, could position himself to be in the picture.

"There are ongoing discussions with Hendo, and it hasn't been determined yet," Coker said during a Strikeforce media call.

"I like to watch the fight and stir the pot after," Coker said. "Let's see who wins and how they win. We also have some other fights coming up in the 205 weight class – Mike Kyle will be fighting again shortly, and Gegard Mousasi will be probably be fighting before the end of the year. When the time is right, we'll let everybody know."

Lawal has not fought since he lost the light heavyweight title to Rafael Cavalcante a year ago, his first career defeat. Gracie is 4-0 with four submission victories, but has fought just twice the last three years.

No decisions yet on vacant heavyweight title
When heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem was given the boot from Strikeforce earlier this summer, many assumed the easiest solution to fill the suddenly vacant belt would be to hand it over to the winner of the ongoing heavyweight tournament.

But that won't be the case, Coker said. The CEO said there are no plans for the tournament winner to automatically assume the role of Strikeforce heavyweight champion, and that the promotion was "in discussions" to figure out what will happen.

Coker reiterated that he expects the finals of the heavyweight tournament to take place sometime in the first quarter of 2012.

In other news from Coker on Tuesday's call:

Cormier always in the heavyweight tournament mix
Daniel Cormier was inserted quickly into the heavyweight tournament when Alistair Overeem was cut from the promotion, and Coker said that was no coincidence.

"He was always considered the top alternate," Coker said. "Cormier was the first person under consideration. He had a great performance against a seasoned veteran like (Jeff) Monson. That fight, he looked like a kickboxer. He showed he had the ability to take it to the next level. We just felt he was the right guy. Anyone who has Olympic-level wrestling is going to give people in this tournament a tough time."

Cormier stepped in for Overeem and will face Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva in one semifinal bout. The winner of that fight will face the Josh Barnett-Sergei Kharitonov winner.

"Cyborg" Santos should fight again by year's end
Coker said Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos has officially re-signed with the promotion. Santos reportedly signed a new deal with Strikeforce last week after more than a year on the sidelines.

Santos (10-1, 4-0 Strikeforce) has not competed since a June 2010 knockout win over Jan Finney to retain her Strikeforce 145-pound title. Coker said no opponent has been set for Santos' return, but he expects she will fight before the end of 2011.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Fighting Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Fighting