clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Nate Marquardt Not Medically Cleared, Out of Sunday's UFC on Versus Event

With just over 24 hours to go from the start of UFC on Versus 4, Nate Marquardt has been forced to withdraw from his main event matchup, a source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to MMA Fighting.

The bout was to be Marquardt's UFC debut at welterweight after 14 starts and a 10-4 record in the promotion's middleweight division. A source with knowledge of the situation said Marquardt believed he would have made weight, but that he did not receive medical clearance from the Pennsylvania state athletic commission. A specific reason for that was not immediately clear, though a Marquardt representative said they may release more information later.

News of Marquardt's withdrawal was first reported by MMAJunkie.com.

As a result of the surprising development, the night's scheduled co-main event, Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo, has been moved into the headliner spot.

At least Marquardt's scheduled opponent Rick Story will have a new matchup. Charlie Brenneman, who had his own bout canceled earlier this week after his foe scratched, will step in and face Story.

UFC on Versus 4 takes place at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh.