MEMPHIS -- UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar will be re-evaluated in about a month and a half to determine when he can resume training to return to action, organization President Dana White said Thursday.
Lesnar, who was hospitalized last month from an intestinal problem, is recuperating at his home in Minnesota, but no timetable has been set for his return.
In the meantime, White said an interim title matchup between Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez seemed a possibility, though Velasquez first has a bout with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 110 to worry about."I've got to wait to see what happens with Brock, but it won't be long," White said regarding the interim title possibility.
Among other notes White covered after the UFC 107 press conference:
• Another injured belt-holder, middleweight champion Anderson Silva, is recovering well from elbow surgery and expected to face Vitor Belfort in April.
• Also likely for the April card is a battle of longtime MMA legends, with ex-welterweight champion Matt Hughes taking on Renzo Gracie.
"Renzo's been training and wants to fight Mattt, and Matt wants to fight him," said White, who wasn't sure if the match was officially signed but said it was likely to be made.
• After dropping a lackluster decision to Kimbo Slice at last Saturday's Ultimate Fighter Finale, light-heavyweight Houston Alexander has been released from the UFC.
Alexander, thought of as one of the most exciting fighters in the sport, fought a deliberate pace, using leg kicks from the outside and rarely engaging.
• White says he is planning to follow through on a promise he made to base jump off the Mandalay Bay. The promise came back in July, when White announced on a radio show that he would do the stunt if UFC 100 sold more than 1.5 million pay-per-view buys. The show ended up doing around 1.7 million.
"I've been training with one of the best base jumpers in the United States," he said, though he admitted he'd rather not do it. "I've been goofing around with it."