K-1 event producer Sadaharu Tanikawa and DREAM producer Keiiti Sasahara held a press conference Wednesday in Tokyo to formally announce "Dynamite!! 2009" for New Year's Eve at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.
Tanikawa said the event will be similar to last year's in that there will be a mixture of K-1 kickboxing and DREAM mixed martial arts bouts to fill out an 18-fight lineup.
The retirement fight of two-time K-1 World MAX champion Masato, one of the organization's most dominant and popular fighters, will will likely serve as the main event for the card airing live on Japan's TBS.
The expected DREAM bouts so far are Shinya Aoki defending his DREAM lightweight belt against Tatsuya Kawajiri and the finals of the Super Hulk tournament between Ikuhisa Minowa and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, though the Aoki-Kawajiri bout is less certain, as Aoki, after his title win at DREAM.11, wouldn't comment on a Kawajiri fight.
The card will also feature semifinals and finals of this year's K-1 Koshien tournament, a 137-pound kickboxing tournament for high schoolers.
Get the latest gear
- 2023 Panini Prizm UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Panini Select UFC Factory Sealed Retail Blaster Box
- Islam Makhachev Walkout Jersey
- UFC Fanatics Single Glove Display Case
- 2022 Panini Donruss Optic Retail Blaster Box
- 2023 Donruss UFC Retail Blaster Box
- Miesha Tate UFC Authentic Plaque
- Brock Lesnar WWE Home Sweet Home Collage