Tickets were first made available Wednesday, Feb. 11 to UFC Fight Club members and went on sale to the general public last Saturday, Feb. 14. According to the UFC, more than 13,000 tickets were sold to fan club members on Feb. 11.
"I knew going back to Montreal would be another homerun," UFC president Dana White said in today's announcement. "Our Canadian fan base is incredibly strong and continues to grow even in these hard times. UFC events continue to bring a substantial economic impact to the city of Montreal -- tickets for this fight sold out faster than UFC 83 last year."
The financial benefits to Montreal was most likely the biggest factor Quebec's athletic commission, "the Regie des Alcools, des courses et des jeux," announced on Wednesday that it would allow UFC 97 to follow the Unified Rules of MMA. The commission had placed the event in jeopardy last week when it considered banning elbows and knee strikes. Additionally, the commission suggested a smaller-sized Octagon.
- Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites
- Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
- Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann
- Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk
- Steve Cantwell vs. Luiz Cane
- Denis Kang vs. Xavier Foupa-Pokam
- Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry
- David Loiseau vs. Ed Herman
- Mark Bocek vs. David Bielkheden
- Ryo Chonan vs. TJ Grant
- Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman