clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Fertitta goes full-time with the UFC

Lorenzo Fertitta has left his position as President of Stations Casino to work full-time with the UFC, Yahoo! Sports reports.

This is the news UFC President Dana White was referring to two weeks ago that was "going to blow people's minds" in an interview with ESPN Magazine.

While the news may not be as glamorous as the rumors of a TV deal, Fertitta's decision to step away from heading one of the largest gaming companies in the world to focus on the UFC speaks loudly about the potential growth of the UFC.

"Station Casinos is a business my family and I have built and now it's a multi-billion dollar company," Fertitta told Yahoo! Sports. "But the reality is, the UFC has gone through so much growth in the last eight years, my brother and I felt we'd be better in divide and conquer mode. He'll stay at Station Casinos and take care of that and I'll come over here and work on the issues involving the UFC."

Among the projects Fertitta will be working on are the continual global expansion of the UFC and the securing of additional big-time sponsors.

Lorenzo and his brother Frank share 90 percent of the UFC, while White owns the other 10 percent.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the MMA Fighting Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of all your fighting news from MMA Fighting