Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
Wagner Prado barely got started in the UFC before his debut fight was over. Unfortunately for him, the conclusion was hardly satisfying. An unintentional eye-poke from opponent Phil Davis left him unable to continue, and the fight was ruled a no contest.
Prado immediately protested the referee's decision to halt the bout, but at least it appears as though he'll still get a chance to fight Davis. According to UFC president Dana White, the two will try it again, with a targeted date of UFC on FX 5.
White said as long as Prado's eye is OK and he's ready to go, he would face Davis at that event, which is scheduled for October 5 in Minneapolis.
The UFC had no update on Prado's health, however.
Davis' eye-poke came just 88 seconds into their fight, as he appeared to attempt to push Prado away from him. Prado's eye immediately swelled up, and apparently told the referee that he was having trouble seeing before the fight was halted.
The 25-year-old Brazilian had come into the UFC with a perfect 8-0 record. Meanwhile, Davis had been attempting to earn his first win since suffering his first career loss to Rashad Evans in January.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts