Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
LAS VEGAS -- The big question going into Chad Mendes' bout with Cody McKenzie was this: How would Mendes respond in his first bout back after being knocked cold by UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo Jr.?
Mendes answered the question with his fists.
The Northern California native made short work of former training partner Cody McKenzie on Saturday night at UFC 148, needing just 31 seconds to finish his opponent via TKO.
A perfectly placed punch to the solar plexus dropped McKenzie. Five right hands to the head of the downed McKenzie later, referee Steve Mazzagatti stopped the fight.
"We knew we needed to come up with something to defeat Cody," said Mendes. "It was definitely something we were working on. He's got a long body and we took advantage of it."
Mendes improved to 12-1 on his career; McKenzie dropped to 15-3, with those three losses coming in his past four fights.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- Nick Diaz UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- Nick Diaz UFC 158 Hoodie
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts