Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
Chan Sung Jung will not be fighting in Macau, China, later this year.
While it appeared to be a virtual lock that "The Korean Zombie" would compete on the UFC's debut in China in November, sources close to the fighter have informed MMAFighting.com that Jung has instead decided to undergo shoulder surgery next week to correct an issue that has been plaguing him for quite some time.
According to those same sources, the UFC had approached Jung about fighting in Macau on Nov. 10, but both Jung and the promotion later decided that this was the right time to go under the knife. As a result, he will not be ready to fight in November. Jung's doctors had advised him to have the surgery before his win over Dustin Poirier in May, but the Korean fighter decided against pulling out of the fight.
Jung (13-3) has won his last three fights in a row. He called out UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo via Twitter two weeks ago, but those title plans have now been put on ice for the time being.
No timetable has been set for his return.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts