Zuffa, LLC via Getty Images
Wild flurries in the closing seconds of a round are often a display for the judges, as fighters look to make a final impression and maybe steal one on the scorecards.
Not for Mike Pyle, though. The veteran welterweight left no doubt at the end of a back-and-forth first round at UFC on FX 3 Friday night, knocking Josh Neer cold with a big right hand and earning the victory with just four seconds left in the opening round.
"The plan was not to take that abuse," said Pyle. (23-8). "He was coming in more aggressive, which is his style. He got a couple good ones over here, and I had had enough."
Pyle scored a takedown early in the round and spent much of the round trying to improve his position in Neer’s guard. But Neer fended him off and worked for submissions from the bottom.
The fighters got back to their feet late in the round and Pyle briefly appeared stunned on his feet. But he later claimed he was playing possum.
"I wasn't dazed, I just wanted to see hat he was going to give me," said Pyle. "He was hitting me hard, he hit me in the liver, I'll give him props. But I wasn't hurt.
The fighter known as "Quicksand" scored his fifth victory in his past six fights, while Neer had his win streak snapped at six.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts