Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
The UFC injury bug continues to spoil the promotion's debut in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
The organization confirmed on Saturday that Shawn Jordan will replace the injured Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira against Cheick Kongo next month at UFC 149. Sherdog.com first reported the news.
Nogueira is just the latest big-name fighter to pull out of UFC 149. The others are: Jose Aldo, Shogun Rua, Thiago Alves, Thiago Silva, Michael Bisping, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Erik Koch and Bibiano Fernandes.
Jordan (13-3) won his Octagon debut in March when he defeated Oli Thompson via second-round TKO. The former Strikeforce and Bellator fighter also holds a win over Lavar Johnson.
Kongo (17-7) will look took bounce back from his first-round TKO loss to Mark Hunt at UFC 144 in February. The loss snapped the Frenchman's four-fight unbeaten streak.
"Big Nog" hasn't fought since Frank Mir broke his arm at UFC 140 last December.
UFC 149, now headlined by Urijah Faber vs. Renan Barao for the interim bantamweight title, will take July 21 on Scotiabank Place in Calgary.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts