James Law, MMA Fighting
Pedro Rizzo has been tapped as Fedor Emelianenko's next opponent.
An M-1 Global official announced on Twitter Friday that "The Last Emperor" has agreed to meet "The Rock" on June 21 at the Ice Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia. No other event details were announced, including whether the fight will air live in North America.
Emelianenko (33-4, 1 NC) has gotten back on the winning track after losing three straight fights in Strikeforce in 2010-11. He snapped his losing streak by defeating Jeff Monson via unanimous decision in Nov. 2011, and then knocked out Satoshi Ishii on New Year's Eve in Japan.
The 37-year-old Rizzo (19-9) hasn't fought since he defeated Ken Shamrock at Impact FC 2 in July 2010. He was scheduled to fight Tim Sylvia at a ProElite event late last year and Valentijn Overeem on an Italian card earlier this year, however, injuries forced him to pull out of the bouts. The former UFC fighter will enter the bout riding a three-fight winning streak.
Bobby Lashley and Rolles Gracie were some of the other names discussed as potential opponents for Emelianenko before settling on Rizzo.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts