Zuffa LLC via Getty Images
In a sudden ending, John Maguire stunned DeMarques Johnson with a lighting quick arm bar, forcing the UFC veteran to tap out at UFC on FUEL 2.
Johnson had been winning the second round of their fight until then, but was working for a kimura from the bottom when Maguire countered with the arm bar. He had it locked up almost immediately, giving Johnson no choice but to tap. The finish came at 4:40 of the round.
"The kimura is normally my favorite move so I know the counter," Maguire said afterward. "I was waiting until he overcommited, which he did. He made a mistake and I capitalized on it."
Maguire controlled the entire first round, using an overhand left to move into a successful takedown early, and holding Johnson to the mat for the rest of the way. Johnson threatened with an oma plata, but it was never close as Maguire rolled free. Maguire took the position and kept it the rest of the way, eventually taking Johnson's back late, though he was unable to finish.
The win was the seventh straight for Maguire, who ran his record to 18-3 with the win. He's also now 2-0 in the UFC after beating Justin Edwards in his octagon debut last November.
Johnson fell to 16-10, and has now lost three of his last five.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts