Anthony Pettis has decided to have surgery to correct a lingering injury instead of fighting in the next few months.
Chael Sonnen, who is represented by the same management team, MMA Inc., as Pettis, broke the news on Tuesday's episode of UFC Tonight on FUEL TV. MMAFighting.com subsequently confirmed the news with Pettis' manager, Mike Roberts. Roberts would not disclose which part of Pettis' body he was having surgery on or how long the injury had been bothering "Showtime" for.
According to Roberts, Pettis decided to go under the knife after finding out that the UFC decided to give Frankie Edgar the next title show against new 155-pound champion Benson Henderson. Roberts said that if Pettis would have been chosen as the next title contender, he would have delayed the surgery for a later date.
Pettis' injury is not considered serious, and Roberts said he expects him to be back in the cage by mid to late-summer.
Pettis (15-2) most recently knocked out Joe Lauzon at UFC 144 last month in Japan.