Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
Anthony Pettis has decided to have surgery to correct a lingering injury instead of fighting in the next few months.
Chael Sonnen, who is represented by the same management team, MMA Inc., as Pettis, broke the news on Tuesday's episode of UFC Tonight on FUEL TV. MMAFighting.com subsequently confirmed the news with Pettis' manager, Mike Roberts. Roberts would not disclose which part of Pettis' body he was having surgery on or how long the injury had been bothering "Showtime" for.
According to Roberts, Pettis decided to go under the knife after finding out that the UFC decided to give Frankie Edgar the next title show against new 155-pound champion Benson Henderson. Roberts said that if Pettis would have been chosen as the next title contender, he would have delayed the surgery for a later date.
Pettis' injury is not considered serious, and Roberts said he expects him to be back in the cage by mid to late-summer.
Pettis (15-2) most recently knocked out Joe Lauzon at UFC 144 last month in Japan.
Latest From MMA Warehouse
- Cain Velasquez UFC 160 Walkout Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Photo Shirt
- Vitor Belfort UFC on FX 8 Cornerman Shirt
- Chael Sonnen UFC 159 Walkout Shirt
- Henderson UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- Nate Diaz UFC on FOX 7 Walkout Shirt
- GSP UFC 158 Walkout Shirt
- UFC Walkout Clothing
- More: MMA Clothing | MMA Gear | MMA Shorts | MMA Gloves | MMA Shirts